It’s crunch time for BS/MD as well as Ivy League applications. As we help students brainstorm ideas, revise and edit the MOST IMPORTANT APPLICATIONS/ESSAYS of their lives, we are discovering consistent points in their essays that will cause instant rejections. Dr. Paul Lowe would like to share these points.
- Essays were verbose.
- Essays were not personal.
- Essays were boring.
- Essay did not answer the question.
- Essays were superficial.
- Essays were pretentious.
- Essays contained grammatical errors and grammatical inaccuracies
- Essays were disconnected from the application.
- Essays sounded similar to online essay samples.
- Essays sounded similar to samples in books.
- Essay did not have the student’s voice.
- Essays were simply cut and paste from another answer.
- Essay was not well written.
- Essays were formulaic.
- Essays lacked harmony.
Noticed that we used the past tense!
The consensus that we have heard among most admissions officers at Ivy League as well as BS/MD programs is that an essay can both help and hurt you and essays are an opportunity to expand the admissions officer’s sense of who you are.
Here are some comments that Dr. Lowe has heard from admissions officers regarding application essays:
- “I don’t like to see an essay that you can almost see was written by parents.”
- “If an essay is notable for its weakness, then both readers are likely to comment on its shortcomings and factor that into their recommendations to the committee.”
- “A badly written essay can certainly tip the scale the wrong way even when the parts of a student’s application is otherwise strong.”
- “We turn down many students with great grades and test scores who have poor essays.”
- “If I see read an essay that has the same theme that I have read from a website or a book, the student is instantly rejected.”
After years of hard work and preparation, why make mistakes on application essays that could cause INSTANT REJECTION!
“Admissions is a competitive sport! Why gamble with uncertainty?” – Dr. Paul Lowe
“We provide our clients access to our specialized knowledge!” – Dr. Paul Lowe
Dr. Paul Reginald Lowe, founder and managing director of Pinnacle Educational Center Admissions Advisors Group, provides comprehensive counseling advice, exclusively for admissions to top private schools; Ivy League and highly-selective colleges/universities; BS/MD programs; graduate and medical schools and top visual and performing arts programs. The admissions affiliate: Ivy League Admissions Advisors specializes in admissions to Ivy League and highly selective colleges, Dr. Lowe also specializes in helping students who have been wait-listed, deferred or rejected gain admission into their top-choice schools: College Application Rejected. and student who wish to transfer to another college: College Transfer Admissions Advisors.